Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Shipped home

It was time to leave Tasmania. I had breakfast delivered to my room hoping for a good start of the day. For $ 14 I got the poorest meal ever.
I think they take doggy bags from the soup kitchen downtown. In sympathy with the less fortunate in Devonport, I decided to eat it all with a grateful smile. Hopefully my $ 14 helped a starving motel owner through the day or at least paid for his children’s shoes.

Taking the ferry back to Melbourne I got myself ready for a hard night out, just like on the ferries from Sweden to Finland. Floating liquor stores with human brain capacity dropping by 75% before even entering the Baltic Sea. So, with newly dyed hair, Lynx all over me, I walked up to the entertainment area, only to find a handful of badly dressed people looking slightly depressed.

They all watched the TV screens showing a documentary of an anorectic girl followed by the Ship Emergency Procedure Video.. I lost all hope of any social interaction of any kind. The atmosphere on board was like ice and I spent the next hour talking to my colleague and walk on deck figuring out the best way to make it to the life boats in case of more Icebergs.

No comments:

Post a Comment