Monday, September 20, 2010

Last days in Tasmania

After two weeks of hard work I and my colleague drove up to the north coast to work in Burnie for three days. On the way through Tasmania I saw many little places where I would not mind living. At my age one appreciates peace and quiet and if I could make a living staying in a remote area, I would. We had dinner at a pub with unusually bad food and after 9PM all guests were gone, the place was dead. When we walked outside it turned out that that there was nobody anywhere else either. The locals had simply gone home after a meal out on Saturday night (I might need to reconsider my future rural lifestyle). Still, there was no sound of banjos, so I decided not to worry. On the last Sunday we went for a drive to visit the Stanley Nut.


The city of Stanley, or should I say, the street of Stanley still look like it was 150 years old. The only thing missing was a gang of bandits galloping through town.



Afterwards we went to Touchwood cafe to try their world famous scones with jam and cream. - Amazingly rich stuff that eliminates any need for food for the next 24 hours. My colleague who is a diabetic, had a scone in one hand and the insulin shot in the other, so we survived it.

I had the opportunity to see other historical places in Tasmania too. I am constantly trying to learn more about the Australian soul and people. What made them a quiet, far away nation of hard workers and heroes with a laid back lifestyle and unique humour? Only history can explain it.

Something kept Australia quite intact without any of the mayor crisis seen in most warm climate countries. Why did the Australian aboriginals not learn to use the white man´s horses and weapons straight away. Theey did not revolt to elect a PM who then worked his way up to President and finishes as a Dictator with a taste for cannibalism....or so.
Once, two Professors at Sydney Museum told me that most aboriginals could not understand that man could own land. I believe we can claim as much land as we want to and pay as many millions of dollars as we like, but we will never own the land anyway.
One day nature will create a new world without any concern for humans whatsoever.

Leaving the Maritime Museum of Devonport I was surprised by a very aggressive bird trying to kill me. It was a Plover Bird that lays its eggs directly on the ground. I believevthat the Plover Bird is a direct descendant of Tyrannosaurus Rex since it thinks it strong and that it has no natural enemies. I suppose...a bit like...a Jack Russel (Dressurschweinchen) or Oksana or My Ex whi....(Not) or The Independent MPs or... well, you get the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment